Friday 26 March 2010

Cannon via Lonesome Lake

White Mountains 049

White Mountains 021
Friday was still sunny and clear but the temperature had dropped considerably. I headed to the Lafayette campground parking area and headed up the Lonesome Lake trail. No need for an early start for this short hike. The trail switchbacks it's way up the 1000 feet over the first ridge to the hut at Lonesome Lake. Microspikes would have been sufficient as there was just a slick crust. I wore my snowshoes since I don't have any spikes. The coldest spot of the day was at the lake where the wind was howling. The view across the lake of the Franconia ridge is definitely worth the hike. I took a lot of photos and went inside to warm up and get some water. In the winter the hut has a caretaker so you can stay there and use the kitchen and woodstove. On the way up I met a guy who was carrying up supplies for a big party on the saturday night.

White Mountains 059
I headed up the Lonesome Lake trail to Kinsman ridge. It was supposed to be less steep and I hoped not icy. It turned out to have a nice firm crust and about 3 inches of powder. The steepest section of the day was the Kinsman Ridge trail. Two steps up and one slide back. Thankfully it was short (but steep). I was busy etching an arrow in the snow when I noticed the trail sign that was all but burried by snow. The views from the top were stellar and you can see down the ridge to Mt Flume and points south. Heading back down was a blast. I butt slid down the steepest section, 20 minutes up and 5 down!!

White Mountains 055
Another stop at the hut for a welcome cup of tea to warm up and a chat with some of the people staying the night and the rookie caretaker. I don't know if she knew what she was in for the next night! This is a great short hike (3.5 miles to the summit) whether done in winter or autumn and the run up the lake (1 mile) is also well worth it.

White Mountains 054

White Mountains 003

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home