Saturday 13 March 2010

A cloudy day on Tabletop

Tabletop 075

Tabletop 089
The weather forecast looked good for one day out of the weekend so I decided to head down to the Adirondacks to get another W peak before the season ends next Sunday. I decided on Tabletop since the views are better in winter as opposed to summer, my camera batteries died the last time I hiked it and I was never quite sure I got to the actual summit last time as I never saw the sign. I made fast time under cloudy skies. Something that looked like a jellyfish was floating over Marcy Dam. Some sleet and light rain fell while I was hiking up to Indian Falls and it helped to cool me down. Views from Indian Falls were nice but again cloudy. The trail up to Tabletop is short and not too steep. I did make it over to the summit sign this time and then a short distance past to a view of the Great range. I even encounterd my first spruce trap as I edged further out to get some shots without the cripplebush in them. No worries as I only went in up to my waist. Back at Indian Falls and only 11:30 I thought about continuing on to Marcy but I did not have much water and my feet were getting sore. On the way back I was glad to have made that choice as the wind was howling and I ended up with blisters on both my shins. It won't be long before bear-booting will be the mode of transport to Marcy Dam but otherwise there is still plenty of snow.

Tabletop 003

more photos on flickr

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 13 March 2010 at 23:21 , Blogger Tripper said...

Soon you'll have more W peaks than I have in total. Come to think of it, that's not a hard number to beat since my ability to actually get down there at all is teetering between nil and next to nil.

 
At 14 March 2010 at 07:41 , Blogger Michael said...

Priorities man. You should have enrolled your kids in 46er school instead of soccer :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home