Monday 8 March 2010

Starting my W list!

Cascade, Porter and Phelps 173

Cascade, Porter and Phelps 120
I finally got down to the Adirondacks with my snowshoes after several hikes in Gatineau Park. I did what any rookie would do. I headed to the Cascade Porter trailhead on rte 73. I got an early start as there were only two groups ahead of me. This is a good thing because come midday there would be group after group heading up as I made my way down. Winter hiking absolutely rules. The footing is on a completely flat surface and at an easier grade as the snow has filled in any rocks and holes on the summer trail. And don't even get me started on the downhill which is much easier on the knees. Of course I know not all winter hikes are on well packed trails and on days when the temperature is hovering around 40F but I still say I love it.

Cascade, Porter and Phelps 082
The hike seemed shorter and less steep than I remembered it and I had to duck in several places (due to the several feet of snow on the trail) and in a short time I was at the split. I opted for Porter as I knew it would be sheltered from the wind and a primo spot for taking photos. I hung out there for about 30 minutes soaking in the views. I made my way back and headed up to Cascade. The summit was covered in snow so I kept the snowshoes on. It was however blowing enough to make it tough to stay for too long. Just a few photos and thanks to another hiker for stopping one of my poles before it blew off the mountain.

An awesome day ... and sure to be the first of many!

Cascade, Porter and Phelps 083

More photos from the hike on Flickr

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home