Sunday 7 February 2010

Super hike to King Mountain

King mountain 020

King mountain 017
A beautiful sunny day for a hike with plenty of time before heading home to the couch for some super entertainment. I figured I would try a hike I had read to a popular summer hiking loop. In the summer you gain most of the elevation in your car before walking a loop with plenty of interpretive plaques. The winter route is up the escarpment from the west. It is short but plenty steep to get your blood pumping. Again the snowshoes grip was great on even the steepest slopes. I found it more uncomfortable when the trail was switching back and forth and the footholds were not flat. I managed to sit on one of the benches up top (actually I had my pick) for some water and snacks and some fine winter sunshine. Fun times on the way down. The shoes grab quite well but sometimes it is fun to just sit down and slide!

King mountain 027

King mountain 025

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home