Saturday 30 January 2010

Hockey Day at the Luskville Fire Tower

Luskville Fire Tower 056

Luskville Fire Tower 087
Today is hockey day in Canada, a creation of the CBC where hockey is celebrated in small towns all across the country and there are three games shown (on CBC) featuring Canadian teams. What to do to celebrate the day? Well I decided on a snowshoe up to the Luskville Fire Tower. It was killer cold (-25C) in the morning but I wasn't about to downgrade my plans and wait for warmer weather. My collection of fleeces and tocques were put to good use along with two neck warmers and an old set of ski goggles. The rain from last monday meant the first part of the trail was steep and sheer ice and snowshoes were of no use. I put them on once I got to the first lookout and there was quite a lot of snow from then on. Both creek crossings were ice and therefore a breeze. I got to the tower just in time to meet up with a guy who had skied from Camp Fortune and got him to take my picture. On the way down I met a group of four with full packs. "You must have big lunches in there" I joked. It turned out they were practicing for an upcoming trip to Mt Washington. I did the loop taking the right side trail on the way up and the left side (left side of the creek) on the way down. A great sunny but cold Canadian winter day and an awesome day to be out on a hike. I think I may suggest a hike/ski outing from the Fire Tower to P10.

PS Senator beat Habs 3-2 in overtime for their 9th straight win!!

Luskville Fire Tower 002

Luskville Fire Tower 045

Luskville Fire Tower 083

Luskville Fire Tower 064

Luskville Fire Tower 051

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 30 January 2010 at 20:25 , Blogger Kenmore said...

Looks nice. What kind of traction did you use on the first part of the climb where it was icy and low snow?

 
At 30 January 2010 at 23:04 , Blogger Michael said...

Just my boots, stepping carefully.

 
At 1 February 2010 at 09:06 , Blogger Tripper said...

A great day for a hike. Actually every day is a great hiking day until we get some more snow. The kids and I are praying for a big dump soon. "Big dump! Big DUMP!!"

 
At 1 February 2010 at 16:31 , Blogger Michael said...

Agreed, a big dump is always a good thing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home