Thursday 25 March 2010

Sunny day at Wildcat

White Mountains 024

White Mountains 019
I have long had my eye on a hike of the Wildcats in the autumn to combine the fall colors with the stunning view of Mt Washington. But since I have walked to the top of many mountains it seemed appropriate to ride a chairlift for once! After all the recent cloud and rain, it was finally a warm sunny spring day and the temperatures were going up to a high of 50F. The views from Wildcat are truly spectacular. You look directly across the valley into the two bowls (Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines) and the summit of Mt Washington. To the right you have a good view of Mt Madison and Adams and to the far right you can see both Carter Dome and Mt Hight.

White Mountains 052
I stuck mainly to the beginner and intermediate runs and a lot of time gazing at the view instead of watching where I was going. Many stops to whip out the camera for yet another perfect shot! By mid afternoon the temperature was affecting the snow so that it would go from slick to sticky depending on the exposure to the sun. This was a great place to ski. The only ski hill I can compare it to in terms of view would be Lake Louise. I will be back to do this again for sure.

Note for back-country skiers there is a trail from the summit of Wildcat south to the town of Jackson. A vertical drop of almost 4000 feet (and a wild ride I bet)

White Mountains 056

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home