Friday 27 September 2013

Patience is rewarded on Big Slide and the Brothers

Big Slide


Leaf peeping season is underway and I returned to an old favorite on Thursday, Big Slide via the Brothers. On a view for effort scale this hike is near the top with its views of the Great Range across John's Brook valley. You get a nice view early in the hike (after about a half hour of steep hiking). I started out early hoping to have the sun behind me to enhance the views but when I popped out on the ledges of First Brother. I was treated to cloud cover at about 4000 foot that obscured the summits across the valley. Such was the case after ascending the very steep shutes near the summit. I missed a trail sign at one point and put on a less than elegant rock climbing display for a couple of hikers behind me (Sorry, about that!). We chatted at the summit with less than stellar views due to the clouds which were gradually burning off. They left me to wait out the clouds which eventually lifted to show the masterpiece across the valley. I returned over the Brothers and was treated to similar great sights from their ledges. Fall colors are popping so it is time to get out there and enjoy while they last.

More photos here.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2 October 2013 at 07:43 , Blogger catharus said...

Nice! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home