Friday 13 September 2013

Middle and South Carter

Nothern Presidentials from Mt Lethe


Sunday was supposed to be questionable weather so I decided to hike two of the New Hampshire 4000 footers that I had not already "bagged", Middle and South Carter. This hike is mostly in the forest except for a couple of open spots on the ridge so weather is less of an issue and it would be warmer and out of the wind in the woods. I parked at the 19 Mile Brook lot and headed north along route 16 to take the Camp Dodge shortcut which brings you to the north branch of the Imp trail. From the Imp trail it was North Carter to the ridge and then the Carter Moriah trail across the two summits. I was lucky to encounter 4 grouse just after joining the Carter Moriah trail in a tree. Along the ridge there is a great view from Mt Lethe across the Mt Washington valley at the norther Presidentials. Otherwise though the entire trail is in the trees. I enjoyed the hike as there was lots of interest in the woods but it was long and after 3 days of hiking my feet were really feeling when I got back to the car. There were 38 and 39 of the 4000 footers. The rest will have to wait until next year.

More pics

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home