Friday 13 September 2013

Jackson, much better the second time

Appalachian trail thru-hikers on Mt Jackson


Many years ago, Mark, Much and I did a hut to hut hike from Pinkham Notch to Franconia Notch. On our 3rd day we opted to hike over Jackson instead of taking the easier Crawford Path from Mizpah hut to Crawford Notch. We wanted to cross as many 4000 footers as possible of our list. It rained all day and the detour really slowed us down and Mark almost broke his arm after losing his footing on a big rock slab.

Well it turns out we missed quite the view. I hiked up the same Webster Cliff trail. It is rocky and steep with some scrambles at the top. All the effort is worth it as it has a nice open summit with a great view of Pierce, Eisenhower, Munroe and Mt Washington. I had a chat with some thru hikers who stopped here for breakfast. Great senses of humor and awesome beards! I headed over to the hut after a long stay and found tons of mushrooms along the trail. A coffee and lunch stop at Mizpah hut and then I took the much easier Crawford Path back to my car. Along the way I was passed like I was standing still by the hut croo carrying out 50-60 lbs of hut garbage to the trailhead.

More pics

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home