Friday 20 September 2013

Sage advice from a man from Bethlehem

Checking out the Great Gulf wilderness


On the advice of an experienced local hiker that I met on the Garfield hike, I hiked up the Jewell trail to the ridge north of Mt Washington. I was asking about other trails like the Ammonoosuc Ravine and Valley Way and he suggested the Jewell trail to Mt Clay. It is the shortest elevation gain to Mt Washington and it lifts you on a nicely graded trail which is never steep. I only hiked as far as the ridge and Mt Clay. The last third of the hike is above tree line and there are plenty of views to the west of the southern presidentials as well as the Cog Railway and Lakes of the Clouds hut. As you make your way over the top of the ridge the Great Gulf wilderness comes into view along with Mts Jefferson, Adams and Madison. It is about an hour to Mt Washington if you so choose but I found a nice spot out of the wind looking at the Northern presidents. After about an hour I headed back the way I came with a big smile!

So, to summarize, it is a great idea to follow the advice of a guy from Bethlehem!

More pics

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home