Sunday 22 June 2014

Stairway to Saddleback


 

I took Friday off to go for a hike that had been on my list ever since hiking Bennie's Brook slide with Ken. I had my eye on the Orebed trail/slide with its spectacular set of stairs that are bolted into the rock. The Orebed trail leads from John's Brook lodge up to the col between Gothics and Saddleback. The stairs rise several hundred feet up the left side of the slide which is wide open and has a nice view across the valley towards Big Slide and Yard. I couldn't have picked a more perfect day with clear blue skies. At the junction with the Range trail, I opted for the right turn towards Saddleback. Saddleback has great views from both sides of its summit. To the east is one of the most beautiful sights in the Adirondacks, the range trail rising up the north-west side of Gothics. To the west is the very steep drop-off down the cliffs and the close-up sight of Basin. On the way back down I found the staircase easy on the knees as well as a stable spot to stand when taking photos.

A big thumbs up to the ADK for the work on this trail! I will remember this day when my membership comes up for renewal!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home