Wednesday 9 April 2014

Springing up Ampersand Peak


 
Ampersand is a great little mountain located just east of Tupper Lake. It has everything the larger high peaks have but in a smaller package. It fit the bill on Sunday as I could get up reasonably early, drive down, hike and be home before dark. I was suprised to be the only car in the lot at a civilized starting time of 9:45. The trail is flat for a mile and then straight up. Conditions were perfect for spikes. The main attraction of the view from the open summit is Seymour and the Seward range with the Santanonis peaking over Seymour's shoulder. You can see the MacIntyres off in the distance to the east, especially when they are coated in white. I found a spot out of the wind and enjoyed a sunny spring day. On the way down I tweaked my back by holding onto a branch too long as I slid down a particularly steep spot. The snow was balling up on the front of my spikes which made for sort of reverse-televators! Plenty of people and dogs were heading up to enjoy a great day.
 
 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home