Friday 21 March 2008

Awesome Friday

marginal

When I got to the P17 trailhead this morning I was greeted with a sign saying "marginal ski conditions". What were those lazy incompetent groomers up to this time? Well screw them I said, I was going for a ski and an epic one at that. My plan was to visit each of the cabins in the park. Now I didn't have a sandwich in my pack for each of them but I did have plenty of food and water. I headed down 53 which was quite crusty as advertised but passable. On to P19 and then 53 to cabins Renaud and Lusk.

As I headed up old trail 10 I was glad to be going up and not down as that would have been akin to skiing down a bobsled track. I took a nice snack break at McKinstry. It was great to get out of the wind for a while. Off to Western. Even though skiing up on the ridge, the trail is mostly in the trees which stop at least some of the wind. Western had a nice sunny view and again it was good to be inside away from the wind.

I skied by Huron and only stopped long enough to see if the Norwegian ambassador was home (nope). Then it was down the hill past Shilly Shally for another snack break at Keogan. These cabins are great places to stop to eat and sometimes just to stand near the woodstove to warm up and dry off.

The track on Fortune was slick and it took no time to get down to P10 and then along the connector trail to P11. Trail 36 was quite the icy roller coaster today and I was getting pretty tired when I arrived at the twins, Healey and Herridge. Some more food and liquids and then out via trail 52 to the car.

A full day to be sure, it seemed almost like a dream!

2 Comments:

At 22 March 2008 at 14:20 , Blogger Kenmore said...

Great tour man. Sounds like the conditions were great albiet a little icy. Unfortunately I'm not quite feeling up to the big tour but hopefully I will soon.

 
At 24 March 2008 at 20:24 , Blogger Tripper said...

Hmmm, yeah, great tour. Pinch yourself dude, I think you fell asleep on one of those "Favourite Benches". ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home