Tuesday 11 October 2011

Chocorua, was it summer or winter?

Mt Chocorua across Lake Chocorua

Mt Washington from Middle Sister
I hiked Mt Chocorua last Thursday via the Champney Falls Trail from the Kamcamagus Highway. The forecast was for clear sunny skies but temperatures in the 50s (yikes). Hardly Indian summer weather but on the plus side it was perfect to keep the leaf peeping hordes to a minimum. The trail was a beauty, never particularly steep until the end with a constant grade and a series of switchbacks to get you up to the ridgeline. I had to cover up against the wind with a windbreaker, toque and gloves although I saw several folks who were hiking in shorts. OK, I was too but I had thermal longjohns under them!

Mt Chocorua summit
It was really windy above the tree line and on the summit cone but a great place to duck down behind cover to take photos. On a warmer day this would be a good mountain to hike as there are extended trails that are above the trees and have fine views of surrounding mountains as well as Chocorua's pointy summit.

On my way back down I spotted a bit of trash on the trail (click on photo below). Can you see it?

Can you spot the trash on the trail?

Then later at a Kamcamagus scenic spot I saw the following bolts in a rock face across the road. Any idea what they are?

Strange "bolts" on rock wall Strange bolt close-up

More pics

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home