Sunday 7 August 2011

Late start to hiking season

At Moosilauke summit in the fog

Appalachian trail north from Moosilauke
I spent a few days this week in NH getting my vacation off to a relaxing start and getting a late start to hiking season. I figured it would be best to ease into it to make sure that the equipment was still working. By equipment I mean knees, lungs etc rather than boots and hiking poles (although those still work too. Some scanning through my White mountain guide led me to two peaks with short trails and trailheads at least 2000 feet above sea level. It is always a welcome sight to be driving uphill on the way to a trailhead, less elevation to gain on foot!

Gorge brook
Thursday, I hiked Moosilauke from the Ravine Lodge. I went up via the Snapper-Carriage Road trails and returned via Gorge Brook. The Carriage road was a welcome trail for the first time out as it was pretty soft underfoot and a consistent but never steep grade. The cloud ceiling was low which made it cool on the way up but obscured almost all views when at the top. I stopped for some long breaks at South Peak as well as the summit waiting for the clouds to break up but they never did. There were plenty of people out including a couple of AT section hikers. After about an hour with no views to speak of I headed back down the Gorge brook trail. This was a short day so I headed down the Kancamagus highway to North Conway for some tax free shopping.

Franconia ridge and Garfield from Osceola
Friday, I opted for another short one to Osceola from Tripoli Road. This may be the shorted 4000 footer hike in the WMNF. It is rocky underfoot and entirely made up of switchbacks. I appreciated these on the way back down but was getting pissed on the way up as they did not seem to be gaining much elevation. When I arrived at the top I encountered a few hikers and the inside of a cloud. The hikers were Bruin fans who appreciated the Ottawa connection for all that Chara, Kelly and Chiarelli helped them accomplish. The book described an excellant view. While there is an open summit facing east, the best views are to the north and west but you have to stand on a small boulder to see the Pemi Wilderness from Franconia Ridge to Mt Carrigain.

More Moosilauke pics


More Osceola pics

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home