Saturday 5 September 2009

Redfield from LOJ

Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 092


Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 126
A wise man once described the Seward range as not the type of hike to do after a winter of watching NFL football from the couch. Well I can add that Redfield from the LOJ is not the sort of hike to do in NFL pre-season if you haven't hiked in the ADKs since the middle of the NHL playoffs. What I mean is, it is a very long day and even though much of the scenery is stellar the footing is often rough and it is a long way whichever route you choose.


Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 072
On advice from my trusty ADK advisor, I went from via Avalanche Pass in both directions. This was smart advice as there were numerous stops for photos (Marcy Dam, Avalanche Pass, Avalanche Lake, Lake Colden etc) and the elevation is gained gradually. I left at 7 and had plenty of daylight for what I figured would be a long day. I motored along pretty fast to begin with and was passing people left and right. By the time I got to the Opolescent trail I was slowing down and I never did get a second wind. There was still a lot of mud, especially on the trail along Lake Colden and the Opolescent trail as well as the herd path. It took me 3.5 hours to the Uphill brook lean to, which was not bad considering all the photo ops. I had a quick chat with a guy in sandals who was staying at the lean to and clearly not on his way to either Redfield or Cliff. Today was a rest day (and sandals would not be appropriate for the herd path ascent).


Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 110
The herd path is nice (as are all the 46er herd paths) and never too steep. It always amazes me that someone comes to such a remote spot to maintain a trail like this one. I did not stay long on the summit as although it was a clear day there is not that much of a view and I knew I had long trek ahead of me. Also the sandwiches that I had brought (in toasted english muffins) tasted like cardboard (not a good hike to try something new). It took me an hour and 45 minutes both up and down the herd path.

Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 106


Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 124
From there I took almost an hour longer to walk back to the LOJ that on the way in. Daylight wasn't an issue but the miles just seemed to drag on forever. There were many people backpacking in for the long weekend but not many dayhikers heading out. In the end it was a 12 hour day that was tough but one that I enjoyed. Having said that, it sure would have been nice to have stayed at the lean to and taken advantage of the many pools on the Opolescent or Uphill brooks. Perhaps that will be the plan when I return to hike to Cliff. Anyhow it felt great to finally get my 40th peak. I hope this will garner me more respect with my 46er friends!


Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 037

Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 088

Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 101

Adirondacks, Mt Redfield 128

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6 September 2009 at 10:49 , Blogger Kenmore said...

Indeed much respect. That's a long hike no matter how you slice it - and even longer when your lunch is cardboard! Good job. I made it down Redfield much quicker than my ascent - but I was chased off the summit by lightening so I actually ran a good portion.

 
At 6 September 2009 at 23:01 , Blogger corin said...

Thanks for that report! and only 6 more to go...awesome. You asked after my Dial and Nippletop excursion which was next and I think Colden is next hopefully on 9/14. Hiking on 9/7 with other family members and hoping to get over a couple of the brothers with them. Not sure if they can go to the summit of big slide (which I did) but wanted to show them the views of the great range. If the Garden is packed then we may try "hopkins"....the one you couldnt remember the name of for your post!!!! ha ha....

 
At 8 September 2009 at 21:20 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the early season "shakedown" is useful to loosen up the knees and test out new food ideas.

Corin, neither Ken nor I have heard of this peak you mentioned. We hope to read about it in your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home