Sunday 20 September 2009

Noonmark is my happy place

Noonmark 275


Noonmark 036
Let's say, just hypothetically of course, that you are having a rough day: some unpleasant medical procdure, your boss is yelling at you, you are stuck in traffic, etc,etc. What you need is a happy place. You close your eyes and imagine yourself in your happy place and all your troubles melt away! All you see is the wide open space and peaks as far as the eye can see and in every direction. The mountain breeze is soothing you with its soft whispers and there isn't a cloud in the sky. The occasional hawk sails by on thermals and there isn't a cloud in the sky.


Noonmark 164
Well Noonmark is a fine candidate to be your happy place. I hiked it for the second time yesterday. I was on the trail at 8 and on the summit by 10 with several short stops on various ledges for photos. It is a short hike at 2 miles but it sure is steep, especially when the trail is mostly rock at the top. I was surprised for a saturday to have the summit to myself for about an hour. I made use of the solitude to snap a few photos and otherwise soak in the views in every direction. Noonmark has probably the best view of Dix in the ADKs and also has views of Nippletop/Dial, the Great Range, Giant and RPR and at a distance Whiteface. There was cloud cover over some of the peaks when I first got there but it soon listed. After a few people arrived I packed up and left and was glad I did as a steady parade of hikers were coming up as I descended.

As I signed in the logbook...Noonmark rules!! :-) :-)

Noonmark 119

Noonmark 180

Noonmark 147

Noonmark 146

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 25 September 2009 at 08:38 , Blogger Jessie L. said...

I love this hike! Also one of my favorites. It definitely offers one of the best views in the Adirondacks (in my opinion anyway).

 
At 3 October 2009 at 23:46 , Blogger Michael said...

Thanks Jesse. For sure there are plenty of peaks under 4000 ft that are well worth the hike!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home