Saturday 22 December 2007

Kennedy Road

wideopen
The NCC reopened trail 53 from P17 for skiing this winter. It is a nice trail loop that basically runs between P17 and P19 at Lac Phillipe. It is rolling hills with one part of the loop mostly running through the forest and the other more out in the open. The snow was covering everything and it was constantly falling off tree boughs in mini avalanches. I tried to capture some of these on film. However just like at the demolition derby, the good crash always happens where you are not looking. This is a remote section of trail and I crossed paths with 5 people during the three hour loop.

Exclamation point
The trail grooming in Gatineau Park has come under fire from many this season but the grooming today seemed fine to me. I underestimated the length of the trail by about ten kilometres and got more of a workout than I had bargained for. On my way back I sure was wishing that I had brought a pack with some snacks and water. The snow seemed much stickier too so I wasn't getting as good of a glide. I highly recommend this trail for a quiet ski with a more remote feel. A great place to go when the crowds are out and about in the lower end of the park. As a great man once said, "Ask not what your skis can do for you, ask what you can do for your skis"...or something along those lines!

smiley snowy trailsign

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home