Sunday 26 August 2007

Santanoni and Panther peaks

The weather forecast called for 30% chance of showers which in the Santanoni range means a 100% guarentee. About half of the approach trail is flat with no drainage and is legendary for its mud pits. I was apprehensive about this hike based on all the horrific things I had read about it but in fact I really enjoyed it. The approach trails are mostly flat and the mud pits were plentiful but not too bad. I only went in up to my knee one time! I enjoyed ascending the Panther brook herd path which was quite scenic and not as hard as I was expecting although it did have its moments. The herd paths on the Santanoni ridge were easy to follow but the vegetation was grown in ono the paths. On a rainy day this ensures that you get the maximum possible soaking. It is a 10 minute walk over to Panther peak which on a sunny day would have a nice view from it's somewhat open summit. On this day all I got was the inside of a cloud. Return to Herald square where a left turn led to Times Square and then another left led to Santanoni peak. For the return trip I took the newly opened and not yet named New-Old Santanoni trail. It drops precipitously off the ridge which made for some fun given the wet conditions and the brush that obscures your view of your feet. Nonetheless, it shaves about a mile or two of the return to the parking lot at Upper Works. I'm not sure I would want to hike up this trail but it sure does the trick coming down. I have to return at some point for "Couchie", perhaps on a dry day next June!
Panther peak summit marker Santanoni peak summit sign

2 Comments:

At 27 August 2007 at 13:20 , Blogger Kenmore said...

ah ha, well done! It certainly was a wet day which bodes poorly for the Santas. Two well earned peaks.

 
At 27 August 2007 at 18:21 , Blogger Michael said...

Thanks, Kenmore. Other than some trouble identifying the panther herd path turnoff which cost me about an hour, it was a stellar day. I think more hours of daylight are required to get all 3.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home